Home News Trump says Iran called ‘numerous’ times to make deal as carrier enters Middle East waters
News

Trump says Iran called ‘numerous’ times to make deal as carrier enters Middle East waters

Share
Share

President Donald Trump said Iran appears to be looking to negotiate with the U.S. amid a growing military buildup in the Middle East.

In a Monday interview with Axios, Trump suggested that Tehran had reached out on ‘numerous occasions’ and ‘want[s] to make a deal.’

‘They want to make a deal. I know so. They called on numerous occasions. They want to talk,’ the president told the outlet.

According to U.S. officials, also cited by Axios, any potential agreement would need Tehran to remove all enriched uranium, cap its long-range missile stockpile, a change in support for regional proxy forces, and cease independent uranium enrichment, terms Iranian leaders have not agreed to.

Trump also described the situation with Iran as ‘in flux,’ and pointed to the arrival of what he called ‘a big armada next to Iran. Bigger than Venezuela,’ referencing the recent deployment of U.S. naval assets.

As previously reported by Fox News Digital, the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier entered CENTCOM waters in the Indian Ocean on Monday amid increasing threats from Iran, a senior U.S. official said.

Trump had told reporters Jan. 21, ‘We have a big flotilla going in that direction, and we’ll see what happens. We have a big force going towards Iran. I’d rather not see anything happen, but we’re watching them very closely.’

The U.S. military buildup comes amid widespread unrest inside Iran following protests that began Dec. 28.

According to a recent report from Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA), the confirmed death toll from the protests has reached 5,848, with an additional 17,091 deaths under investigation.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has been sheltering in a fortified underground facility, according to Iran International.

Trump is expected to hold further consultations this week, Axios said, before adding that White House officials said an attack is still on the table.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House for comment.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

    Related Articles

    Crypto stocks MARA, COIN, Strive, MSTR rally as a bull run starts, but risks remain

    Top crypto stocks are in a strong rally this week, helped by...

    Fire, water and time: how crypto seed phrase backups are being built to survive

    Self-custody often starts with a hardware wallet, but the device is only...

    Flowra launches Open Orderflow Auction to Solana

    Flowra has launched its Open Orderflow Auction (OOA), a block-building framework for...

    KuCoin earns ISO/IEC 42001 certification for AI management

    KuCoin, a global cryptocurrency exchange, has received ISO/IEC 42001:2023 certification for its...